Promoting the Protected Characteristics at Christ the King
We work to ensure that our children understand that:
- We are ALL children of God
- We are all different and unique
- We are made in the image and likeness of God
- We celebrate our differences
- We are fair to everyone
- Everyone, at all times, should be treated with love and respect
The Equality Act became law in 2010. It covers everyone in Britain and protects people from discrimination, harassment and victimisation. Everyone in Britain is protected. This is because the Equality Act protects people against discrimination because of the protected characteristics that we all have.
Under the Equality Act, there are nine Protected Characteristics:
- Gender reassignment
- Religion or belief
- Marriage or civil partnership
- Sexual orientation
- Pregnancy and maternity
At Christ the King, we actively promote these in our curriculum and work to embed them into our Catholic ethos.